Installing D on Fresh Windows 10 machine is a pain

Jesse Phillips Jesse.K.Phillips+D at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 15:59:51 UTC 2020

Installing D isn't new to me but I haven't really had to do a
fresh install for awhile and come from a time when I was
installing VS from 2010 and up.

VS 2019 Professional is installed on the system.

I have installed the C++ desktop development for VS.

DMD installer still is unable to find "VS installed"

I've also installed the C++ 2010 redistributables to try and use
the MinGW install path.

I've also utilized the developer command prompt
---

Upon compiling a 64bit hello world I get

     helloworld> dmd -m64 .\hello.d
     LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'libucrt.lib'
     Error: linker exited with status 1104

This appears to have been a library moved around VS 2015 release,
and I don't want to do the copying around solution the internet
suggests.

I understand that as a compiler it is important to support
systems of an older nature and so updating to the latest C++
runtimes might hinder usage of D.

It is just sad that at one point the install really did just take
care of things and now it can't find things.