Installing D on Fresh Windows 10 machine is a pain

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 16:35:07 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 27 August 2020 at 15:59:51 UTC, Jesse Phillips wrote:
> Installing D isn't new to me but I haven't really had to do a
> fresh install for awhile and come from a time when I was
> installing VS from 2010 and up.
>
> VS 2019 Professional is installed on the system.
>
> I have installed the C++ desktop development for VS.
>
> DMD installer still is unable to find "VS installed"
>
> I've also installed the C++ 2010 redistributables to try and
> use the MinGW install path.
>
> I've also utilized the developer command prompt
> ---
>
> Upon compiling a 64bit hello world I get
>
>     helloworld> dmd -m64 .\hello.d
>     LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'libucrt.lib'
>     Error: linker exited with status 1104
>
> This appears to have been a library moved around VS 2015
> release, and I don't want to do the copying around solution the
> internet suggests.
>
> I understand that as a compiler it is important to support
> systems of an older nature and so updating to the latest C++
> runtimes might hinder usage of D.
>
> It is just sad that at one point the install really did just
> take care of things and now it can't find things.

It has worked for me every time I've installed it since VS 2015.
libucrt.lib should have been installed by the VS installer.
Something to check: run the installer again, click the checkbox
in corner of the 'Desktop development with C++' box, then look
under the 'Installation details' list that comes up and make sure
a version of the Windows 10 SDK is installed. If you don't see
one with a check next to it, then check the latest one and modify
the installation.