How do I fix my failed PRs?

Petar Petar
Mon Feb 3 08:38:37 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 2 February 2020 at 08:54:02 UTC, mark wrote:
> I've done quite a few small corrections/improvements to the
> D-tour's English. Almost all have been accepted.
>
> However, four have not been accepted, apparently for technical
> reasons. But I don't understand what's wrong or what I need to
> do to fix them. (I'm not very knowledgeable about github.)
>
> These are the ones that are held up:
>
> https://github.com/dlang-tour/english/pull/336
> https://github.com/dlang-tour/english/pull/335
> https://github.com/dlang-tour/english/pull/328
> https://github.com/dlang-tour/english/pull/316

Hi Mark,

I will take care of reviewing and merging all of the rest of your
pull requests later this week.

For the most part, my process is:
1. Git checkout a pull request locally
2. Rebase its branch on top of the upstream master one
2. Fixing any whitespace issues (quite easy due to .editorconfig)
3. Reviewing your changes
4. Reviewing the paragraphs as a whole
5. Changing the commit message to something more descriptive, for
example:

     [chapter-name]: Change being made

     Longer description...

See also: https://chris.beams.io/posts/git-commit/

6. Force-pushing and auto-merging.

Last week I got stuck on step 4 for two of the chapters
(classes.md - pr #329 and templates.md - pr #331) as I decided
that small fixes won't be sufficient and I started rewriting a
few paragraphs from scratch. However I ran out of time to finish
both the rewriting and reviewing the rest of your changes. This
time I'll try to prioritize merging the easier PRs before going
down the rabbit whole of rewriting chapters.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help! I'll try to speed up the
process on my side.

Cheers,
Petar