total newbie + IDE

solnce slack000 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 22:10:57 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 9 February 2020 at 18:17:13 UTC, JN wrote:
> On Sunday, 9 February 2020 at 13:22:56 UTC, solnce wrote:
>> I really enjoy Pascal having Lazarus. Although it is not
>> perfected, it provides very good start for beginners - native
>> IDE, RAD, easy to setup and adjust, integrated debugger. All
>> that beginners need to have for good start at no time cost. It
>> is just language doesn't evolve itself.
>>

> There isn't anything comparable to RAD for D. There was one
> being developed in the days od D1 for the DFL UI library -
> http://www.dprogramming.com/entice.php , but it's been long
> dead.
>
> You can use GLADE to design an interface and then load it in a
> GtkD.
>
>> And it is after 13 years of in active development and being
>> successor (as it claims so) to C++. ADA has it, Eiffel has it,
>> FPC, Gambino many niche and small languages have it, why D,
>> which has much wider application,  cannot have it? I think
>> that is natural further evolution of any programming language.
>
> I think the text editor/IDE landscape changed a little in last
> decade or so. Editors such as Sublime Text or Ultraedit lost
> their popularity, so did small language specific IDEs such as
> Dev-C++ or Code::blocks. Most of users of these IDEs migrated
> to the big projects like VSCode, Visual Studio or IntelliJ.
> Also, the introduction of language servers allows working on
> IDE support, without being bound to a specific IDE.
>
> Editors/IDEs such as VSCode have a massive ecosystem. Why not
> take advantage of it, rather than start from scratch.

No, I understand that and agree - VSCode is impressive and I'll
try it, but what is wrong with idea to have a dedicated IDE? At
least one. C/C++ has tons of these and many of these are being
actively developed, so why D cannot have? Especially when it is
aiming to replace C/C++. Argument that VSCode is pretty much
enough for most task it is ok, but is not very valid. The same
applies to D itself - why to make a new language then when there
is C++ around and there is a tons of IDE's for it.

Personally I feel this is more about lack of the vision, as
Alexandrescu once said. Now it feels like D is mostly the
compiler, but I think, that having one big mega project (like
IDE+RAD) could give a new breath and significance to D language.