dub / use git branch

Basile B. b2.temp at gmx.com
Mon Feb 17 07:46:44 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 16 February 2020 at 14:01:13 UTC, Robert M. Münch
wrote:
> I want to use a specific branch version if a package. I
> specified the branch version in a dub.selections.json file.
>
> But it seems that dub requires a ZIP file that can be
> downloaded from code.dlang.org, which of course fails because
> the branch is only available on github.
>
> Fetching rtree ~fix-#3 (getting selected version)...
> Downloading https://code.dlang.org/packages/rtree/~fix-#3.zip
> failed with 404 (Not Found).
>
> How am I supposed to switch to a branch version of a package to
> try a bug-fix version for example?

We fail to get the most basic support for git since a full year
now:

https://github.com/dlang/dub/pull/1802
https://github.com/dlang/dub/pull/1798
https://github.com/dlang/dub/pull/1403

So for now you have two options:

1/ in your project recipe, you can add the dependency as a path
to the git submodule representing the DUB package and do the
branch checkout manually or using a DUB pregenerate command.

2/ ask to the dependency maintainer to add a git tag in the
branch you'd like to use.
the DUB registry will automatically create a new version of the
package, using the right branch. This is done for example for stx
allocator and so far this work.