Strange counter-performance in an alternative `decimalLength9` function

Bruce Carneal bcarneal at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 04:32:29 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 27 February 2020 at 03:58:15 UTC, Bruce Carneal
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 26 February 2020 at 23:09:34 UTC, Basile B. wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 26 February 2020 at 20:44:31 UTC, Bruce Carneal
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> After shuffling the input, branchless wins by 2.4X (240%).
>>

> snip
>
> Let me know if the above is unclear or insufficient.

The 2.4X improvement came when using a shuffled uniform digits
distribution.  Equal numbers of 1 digit values, 2 digit values,
... put in to an array and shuffled.

Branchless *loses* by 8.5% or so on my Zen1 when the array is not
shuffled (when branch predictions are nearly perfect).