How to create meson.build with external libs?

Rasmus Thomsen oss at cogitri.dev
Sun Jan 12 22:33:01 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 12 January 2020 at 22:20:16 UTC, p.shkadzko wrote:
> Why do you think 1 is the better way?

Well, I suppose I might be a bit biased being a distro packager,
but not using dub ensures your package builds properly with what
your distro uses (e.g. pkg-config). It _is_ more effort up front
though, yes. Also, I feel like using a more standardized way of
packaging via meson with pkg-config is better (and as a distro
packager I would refrain from packaging something which uses a
dub dependency instead of a (shared) pkg-config one).

> I feel like it is a lot of manual work for just one dependency.
> Also, it is not a good idea to pollute your /usr/local with
> non-distro packages.

Well, the only purpose of /usr/local is for you to put your
non-distro stuff there, /usr is the package manager's territory :)