books for learning D

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 13:59:52 UTC 2020

On Monday, 13 January 2020 at 11:58:51 UTC, mark wrote:
> Both those books are published by Packt who normally have no
> quality control at all as I've discovered to my cost.

I found working with Packt to be difficult on a lot of levels
too. Like chapter 1 of my book had various symbols mangled
through the review process... and that made it to print. (I
realized the problem through the chapter 2 process at least and
fixed most of it there, but once chapter 1 was submitted there
was no chance to go back and fix it.)

So like there's stuff like

import foo;;;

with 3 ; actually in there. Ugh. But at least those are easy to
fix if you already know basic D syntax and doesn't affect the
explanatory text, which (I think anyway) mostly turned quite good.

I also have downloads of the intended code samples on my website:

http://arsdnet.net/dcode/book/

so you can look there too (and copy/paste more easily!).

also spying the code samples there will give you some idea of
what the text is about before buying as well.

I recently did an unofficial second edition of the socket sample
on my blog too so that's a freebie lol
http://dpldocs.info/this-week-in-d/Blog.Posted_2019_11_11.html#sockets-tutorial