books for learning D

Pavel Shkadzko p.shkadzko at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 16:46:44 UTC 2020

On Monday, 13 January 2020 at 10:28:48 UTC, mark wrote:
> I'm just starting out learning D.
>
> Andrei Alexandrescu's "The D Programming Language" is 10 years
> old, so is it still worth getting? (I don't know how much D has
> changed in 10 years.)

Start with "Programming in D" by Ali:
http://ddili.org/ders/d.en/index.html
A good all-rounder book for any level, you can easily skip the
chapters if you already know the domain. It starts slowly with a
lot of detail (which I personally liked) but then gets a bit
rushed and sketchy in the end still a **must-read** for anyone
who comes from Python or any other "high level" language since a
lot of things will be new to you.

After studying Ali's book you will be pretty much ready to code,
in fact you'll be ready to code in roughly a week or so since D
is such an easy language to pick up ;)

Then you can go straight to "D Cookbook" by Adam:
https://dlang.org/blog/2016/08/04/the-origins-of-the-d-cookbook/
Don't start this book if you don't know D at least a little or if
you're quite experienced with C++. I find that C++ devs can
quickly jump to D. The book is basically a collection of various
problems and solutions in D with nice explanations. I am still on
it.

"The D Programming Language" book by Andrei:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0321635361/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0321635361&linkCode=as2&tag=dlang-20&linkId=BOLS7NQK6MXCZTMG
I really enjoy Anrei's style of writing but I think this book is
mostly an good evening read that is -- it is more about the
history and ideas behind D. Good for high level understanding of
the language concepts. (Correct me if I am wrong because I
haven't read it fully yet).

Finally, you have plenty of materials on dlang website:
https://dlang.org/comparison.html
https://dlang.org/articles/index.html