Some comments on learning D using the tour

mark mark at qtrac.eu
Thu Jan 16 10:32:09 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 16 January 2020 at 02:32:07 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Wednesday, 15 January 2020 at 20:06:01 UTC, mark wrote:
>> For example, I haven't found one definitive place in the docs
>> that document D's strings.
>
> My unofficial docs are built from the same source, so not
> perfect, but at least have better cross linking:
>
> http://dpldocs.info/experimental-docs/std.string.html
>
> might be helpful to you.

Comparing
https://dlang.org/phobos/std_string.html vs
http://dpldocs.info/experimental-docs/std.string.html
I generally find yours easier to read but miss the examples that
are in the std docs. And in both cases there is no coverage of
(or cross-refs to coverage of) string iteration, string indexing,
and byte, code point, and grapheme counting. Also yours doesn't
have the search box.

I've now discovered the std.uni and std.utf modules. There really
ought to be cross-refs to/from these and std.string and Array
string.