DMD docker image

Mathias Lang pro.mathias.lang at gmail.com
Sun Jan 19 09:59:39 UTC 2020

On Friday, 17 January 2020 at 16:43:17 UTC, Jan Hönig wrote:
> I have created a docker image.
> However the image size is not small (~500MB).
> I wonder if others have a suitable dockerfile.
> All i want is to install the current dmd release.
>
> Does somebody have something similar?
> Does somebody need something similar?
>
> My dockerfile:
>
> ```
> FROM ubuntu:latest
> MAINTAINER Jan Hönig <jan.hoenig at fau.de>
>
> RUN apt-get update &&  apt-get install curl build-essential -y \
>  && apt-get clean \
>  && rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists/*
>
> RUN latest=$(curl -sS
> http://downloads.dlang.org/releases/LATEST) \
>   && echo "DMD Release: $latest" \\
>   && curl
> "http://downloads.dlang.org/releases/2020/dmd_${latest}-0_amd64.deb" -o dmd.deb \
>   && dpkg -i "dmd.deb" \
>   && rm "dmd.deb"
> ```

If you want a small image, Alpine Linux is definitely the way to
go.
You can find `gcc-gdc` (however it's an old frontend, v2.076) in
Alpine Linux's main repository.

Additionally, if you can find the latest `ldc` in the `testing`
repository
(https://forum.dlang.org/thread/oznltcuropwzxaakptdy@forum.dlang.org).

I intend to add DMD, just didn't have to get to it yet. If you
want to do it yourself, here's the APKBUILD:
https://gitlab.alpinelinux.org/alpine/aports/merge_requests/2880