alias restriction??!

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 20:46:19 UTC 2020

On 7/19/20 4:21 PM, Carl Sturtivant wrote:
> On Sunday, 19 July 2020 at 17:06:14 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
>> Also, letting aliases refer to expressions essentially allows AST
>> macros in through the back door. Consider the following example:
>>
>> [...]
>
> Perhaps what's needed is something more that is less than allowing
> aliases for expressions in the wide sense you suggest here.

I agree. Something not yet mentioned is that aliases provide direct
access to the symbols for the purposes of looking at attributes --
something that a wrapper function doesn't provide.

The question is: how do you restrict it to explicit data items within a
specific aggregate without parsing arbitrary expressions?

-Steve