Dub Error Message "Invalid variable: DUB"

Basile B. b2.temp at gmx.com
Sun Jun 7 13:09:05 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 7 June 2020 at 12:24:13 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Sun, 2020-06-07 at 10:30 +0000, Basile B. via
> Digitalmars-d-learn wrote: […]
>> What is the docker image that you use ?  If it is an older
>> version maybe that the $DUB env variable is not yet supported
>> by the dub version that's installed (it exists since 2.084.0
>> according to [1]).
>
> I am using ubuntu:focal. ubuntu:bionic has ldc 1.8 which is far
> too old. Focal has ldc 1.20.
>
> I think the dub version is 1.19.<something>
>
> I am having to manually symbolically link /usr/bin/gcc and
> /usr/bin/cc so I suspect the installation of focal is not going
> quite right. Especially as I have to manually set a TZ variable
> to avoid a lock up.
>
>> In my .gitalab-ci.yml I use 'dlang2/ldc-ubuntu' [2] or
>> 'dlang2/dmd-ubuntu' [3] which give always recent versions of D.
>>
>> [1] https://dlang.org/changelog/2.084.0.html
>> [2] https://hub.docker.com/r/dlang2/ldc-ubuntu
>> [3] https://hub.docker.com/r/dlang2/dmd-ubuntu
>
> I shall have to investigate these docker images in favour of
> working with a bare Ubuntu.

Yes because that works reasonably well on gitlab.
The only problem is that you might have to setup other things as
their ubuntu image is very light. Software like zip or even git
are not there by default.

A simple example of `.gitlab-ci.yml` file to support D is

---
job:
   image: dlang2/dmd-ubuntu
   before_script:
   # tools that are not in their base ubuntu image
   - apt-get update -y
   - apt-get install -y supplemental_package_x
   - apt-get install -y supplemental_package_y
   # similarly to what's done on most of the other CI services
   script:
   - bash some_script.sh
   - dub build
   - dub test