What is the current stage of @property ?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Jun 10 21:41:54 UTC 2020

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 08:24:19PM +0000, Vinod K Chandran via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> Hi all,
> I read in an old thread that authors of D wants to eliminate
> @property. I just roughly read the big thread bu couldn't find a
> conclusion. After all that thread is a 48 page longer jumbo thread. So
> out of curiosity, i am asking this. What is the current state of
> @property ? Is it deprecated ?

It's stuck in limbo, like many things that people just cannot agree on.
There are a few places where it's needed (like satisfying the range API,
which implicitly checks for it), but for the most part, you can just
ignore it, it doesn't really make a big difference.  Life goes on.

English has the lovely word "defenestrate", meaning "to execute by throwing someone out a window", or more recently "to remove Windows from a computer and replace it with something useful". :-) -- John Cowan