Arduino and MCU Support

kinke noone at nowhere.com
Fri Jun 19 12:20:52 UTC 2020

On Friday, 19 June 2020 at 11:57:01 UTC, frasdoge wrote:
> I am looking to use D for microcontroller programming due to
> its benefits over C in workflow and general language features.
>
> I was wondering what the current state of this is, especially
> with regards to AVR. An example of the MCUs I would like to
> develop with include anything from 8 bit ATmega328p to 32 bit
> ESP32.
>
> The ESP32 can be programmed in C, C++, micropython and Lua, so
> I'm hoping there's at least some compatibility there.

AVR: https://wiki.dlang.org/D_on_AVR
With recent official LDC packages, you don't need to build LLVM
and LDC yourself, AVR is supported out-of-the-box.

ESP32:
https://wiki.dlang.org/D_on_esp32/esp8266(llvm-xtensa%2Bldc)_and_how_to_get_started
This arch hasn't been upstreamed to LLVM yet and so needs their
LLVM fork, i.e., building it and LDC yourself.

For some more infos, use the search function of this forum.