called copy constructor in foreach with ref on Range

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Jun 23 05:24:37 UTC 2020

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 03:25:55AM +0000, Stanislav Blinov via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> On Tuesday, 23 June 2020 at 02:41:55 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>
> > As things stand, uncopyable ranges aren't really a thing, and common
> > range idiomns rely on ranges being copyable.
>
> Which idioms are those? I mean, genuine idioms, not design flaws like
> e.g.  references.
>
> > We'd need some major redesigning to make uncopyable ranges work, and
> > personally, I don't think that it's worth the trouble.
>
> Of course we would. Andrei is entertaining changing the whole input
> range API. Though he, like you, seems opposed to the idea of
> uncopyables.
[...]

I'm also wondering what's the motivation behind supporting non-copyable
ranges, and whether it's worth the effort and inevitable complications
to support it if it's a rare use-case.  Do you have any compelling
use-case in mind, that might make this worthwhile?

Любишь кататься - люби и саночки возить.