Arduino and MCU Support

Dylan Graham dylan.graham2000 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 13:55:48 UTC 2020

On Friday, 26 June 2020 at 09:30:15 UTC, Dukc wrote:
> On Thursday, 25 June 2020 at 03:00:04 UTC, Dylan Graham wrote:
>> I'm currently making an automatic transmission controller with
>> Arduino. C++ just has too many traps that I keep falling into.
>> Since stability is critical (if the code screws up at 100km/h
>> I'm dead), I'd rather use a sane language like D.
>
> No, don't! Regardless of the language, you should never trust
> your safety on one single program. See
> https://www.digitalmars.com/articles/b39.html
>
> Realistically, doing such a controller cannot be one man/woman
> endeavour.

Thank you for the article. It was an intriguing read.

I don't really have any capacity to implement multiple concurrent
programs given how limited the hardware is.

What I do have is a "pipeline" of modules that have their own
checks to mitigate logical errors.

The transmission also has a mechanical backup should the
electronics fail.

What I meant more so was creature comforts D provides that you
begin missing when you revert to C++ -- something that can assist
me in avoiding certain classes of bugs, which is what was
referring to in my original message and I fear the most.

I have a running controller that even interacts with car's stock
computers and is passing real world tests at current. Automotive
engineering is more approachable than it first appears.