Is it possible to dynamically load a @safe function from a shared library ?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Mar 13 21:06:39 UTC 2020

On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 04:31:16PM -0400, Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
[...]
> I would expect that something could be written to turn a signature
> string into a mangling and also provide the correct type upon return.
> Something like:
>
> auto f = getFunction!(@safe void function(int))("package.module.symbol");
>
> and have it properly mangle the expected function name and pull it
> from the dynamic library.
[...]

This would still have to be @trusted, of course, since there's no
telling what's actually inside the object file.

But this sort of facility totally should be in Phobos, or at least in
some dub package somewhere.  It will make working with dynamically
loaded libraries in D so much more convenient.

If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping in a closed room with a mosquito. -- Jan van Steenbergen