Best way to learn 2d games with D?

bauss jj_1337 at live.dk
Sun Mar 15 18:14:44 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 15 March 2020 at 17:58:58 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> I want to try and learn how to write 2d games. I'd prefer to do
> it with D.
>
> I've found a ton of tutorials on learning 2d gaming with other
> languages. Is there a place to look that uses D for learning?
> Should I just start with another language and then migrate to D
> later? Anyone recommend any specific tutorial/book?
>
> -Steve

The theory is the same in any language ex. if you can write a 2d
game in C++ chances are you can do it in D as well but you could
probably apply the same theory to C, Java, Python etc.

So for D what you really need to be familiar with, is just the
library you're using.

The theory for a 2d game is rather simple though.

You have a loop on the main thread (or ui thread) and within that
you handle events, clear the screen, draw the graphics and repeat
pretty much.

I would recommend using Derelict and SDL with D since it's the
most mature.

There's DSFML but it's dead and doesn't support the latest
version of SFML.

You could also try SFML through Derelict but SDL just seems more
stable tbh.

TBH. if you have any experience with GUI engines then applying
that to writing a game is pretty much the same.

A player, monster, NPC etc. is just a sprite (which is pretty
much just an image.) it has a size, position etc. and you just
manipulate that based on the events you receive in your main loop
etc.

I don't think there's currently any good or complete tutorials on
game development in D, much less 2d game development. There's a
lot of "dead" libraries etc.

If you can get a SDL application running and at the very least
showing a window then I won't mind helping you in the right
direction.

It should be trivial using the guides available at the derelict
docs.