Best way to learn 2d games with D?

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 16:42:56 UTC 2020

On Monday, 16 March 2020 at 16:19:26 UTC, Arine wrote:

> There's no need for someone learning 2D games to even bother
> with SDL2 to begin with. If you use SDL2 you are going to be
> using something no one else uses, you'll be wasting your by
> using something that isn't that good and what you learn from it
> won't be that useful. I don't know anyone that uses SDL2 actual
> API for rendering. Using OpenGL and similar API, you'll learn
> how data actually needs to be processed. If you just want to
> mess around with making a game, using a game engine like Unity
> is going to be better for that. No one should waste their time
> with SDL2's rendering API, it is awful and doesn't actually
> teach you anything about how rendering actually works.

I just disagree completely. You'll find people in the SDL forums
using it. I've used it. I've seen open source games using it.
It's simple for someone just beginning to get started with. No
need to muck about with the details of OpenGL, or with the
complexities of a full-scale game engine. For Steve's purposes,
it's just fine.