Best way to learn 2d games with D?

aberba karabutaworld at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 02:54:06 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 15 March 2020 at 17:58:58 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> I want to try and learn how to write 2d games. I'd prefer to do
> it with D.
>
> I've found a ton of tutorials on learning 2d gaming with other
> languages. Is there a place to look that uses D for learning?
> Should I just start with another language and then migrate to D
> later? Anyone recommend any specific tutorial/book?
>
> -Steve

Over the years, I've seen so many 2d game frameworks/engine get
started and abandoned here. I would recommend DSFML if you can
get it to work. I really like the SFML API design. With that
said, here are some I looked at:

https://code.dlang.org/packages/d2dgame (based on SDL2 by
WebFreak001, not sure how mature it is though, see a demo at
https://github.com/WebFreak001/D2DGame/blob/master/example/source/app.d)

https://code.dlang.org/packages/dagon (Mostly 3d, but can do
3d/2d games too. The most advanced of any D game
engine/framework. Tonne of work poured into it)

https://code.dlang.org/packages/pixelperfectengine (retro games,
I have seen several YouTube demos by the dev)

https://code.dlang.org/packages/godot-d (Godot is quite
popular..used in commercial game. Not sure how good and easy to
use this binding is though)

https://themindofmurilomiranda.blogspot.com/2020/01/space-invaders-game-example-to-learn.html (Murilo Miranda has this tutorial he pulled together after working tirelessly and asking many question on using Adam's arsd package here, I like this guy's tenacity)