Best way to learn 2d games with D?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 18:55:08 UTC 2020

On 3/17/20 2:22 PM, Sebastiaan Koppe wrote:
> On Tuesday, 17 March 2020 at 15:38:55 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> It's not something I'm intending to create professionally, really the
>> impetus is my son wanting to do more significant game coding.
>>

> How old is he?
>
> I find something simple like gamemaker works well with 12-16 olds.

He's done a lot of stuff in Scratch. I taught him and a whole group of
other homeschoolers a class on javascript and this year (up until this
whole virus thing) we were working in Roblox (lua). So far I try to make
the lessons not so much about the language or the environment, but the
code concepts.

I don't really love the scratch methodology of dumbing down everything,
I feel like it limits too much and doesn't help you enough to learn
necessarily the parts of programming that transfer to all other
programming languages. Yes, it has loops, yes it has data (though it's
really convoluted), but it's not going to transfer to real-world coding.
It looks like gamemaker is along the same lines "write games without
ever having to code" seems like it defeats the purpose of what I'm
trying to do ;)

Essentially I want to turn his drive to "make a game" into giving him a
good background in programming.

And of course I want to use D here! Why start them on a lesser language.

-Steve