dub and -lowmem: does nothing

kinke noone at nowhere.com
Sat Mar 21 00:17:37 UTC 2020

On Friday, 20 March 2020 at 23:37:52 UTC, Anonymouse wrote:
> 4. If I run dub with -v on the lowmem configuration and
> copy/paste *the same command it ran*, unmodified, I suddenly
> get the more expected ~1183 Mb used.
>
> [...]
>
> -lowmem is visibly present in the dmd command listed with -v,
> but it seems to do nothing through dub.
>
> How? Why?

Most likely because dub doesn't actually invoke the listed
command, but uses a response file to work around cmdline length
limits. -lowmem in response files is ignored by DMD (needs to be
parsed and set before druntime initialization, but response file
parsing needs druntime + GC). It works for LDC though.