Issues creating a dynamic libary with dub

mitchell mitchelldlarson at pm.me
Wed Mar 25 03:53:32 UTC 2020

Hello,

I'm having issues creating a dynamic library with dub.
The dub config file contains (with the exception of the names and
such) only

     targetType "dynamicLibrary"

When I attempt to buld the library, I get:

     common ~master: building configuration "library"...
     /usr/bin/ld:
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/5/libgphobos2.a(ascii.o):
relocation R_X86_64_32S against `.data' can not be used when
making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
     /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/5/libgphobos2.a: error adding
symbols: Bad value
     gdc failed with exit code 1.

I've been working with D for quite a while, but I've never really
used dub. It looks like dub is attempting to attach phobos to the
dynamic link library I'm trying to create. Is there something
simple which I'm missing entirely?

I would have asked on the dub forums, but they seem to be down
right now.