Is there a way to benchmark/profile portably?

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Thu May 7 12:25:14 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 7 May 2020 at 10:51:27 UTC, Simen Kjærås wrote:

> If I understand correctly, you want to measure how many cycles
> pass, rather than clock time?

Something like that. Well, I would also like to eliminate
differences based on different memory caches between machines.

In addition, if the profiler could eliminate the randomness of
the benchamrks that results from memory aligment, context
switches and dunno, that would obviously be a big plus for
automatic testing.

> If so, it seems perf can do that:
> https://perf.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Tutorial

Sounds worth a look. Thanks!