Spawn a Command Line application Window and output log information

BoQsc vaidas.boqsc at gmail.com
Mon May 18 17:51:54 UTC 2020

On Monday, 18 May 2020 at 17:20:17 UTC, BoQsc wrote:
> It would be great if we could change/customise the icon of the
> Command line application that run the HelloWorld application.
> But I have a bad feeling that it is probably not possible
> without a GUI library.

Forever thankful to Adam D. Ruppe
It is possible to embed icon into the Windows executable.
The Original Adam's thread:
https://forum.dlang.org/post/enrmidvsfdugqmudokdz@forum.dlang.org

The instructions:
Download a valid Windows 3.0 icon resource
Examples:
http://files.alexmeub.com.s3.amazonaws.com/other/win98_icons.zip

Download the tools to embed the Icon for the .exe executable.
http://ftp.digitalmars.com/bup.zip

Create a new text file named whatever.rc with the content similar
to this:

> IDI_ICON1       ICON    DISCARDABLE     "iconfil.ico"

Use rcc.exe tool and whatever.rc file to generate whatever.res
file.
> rcc.exe whatever.rc

Use dmd.exe compiler to embed newly created whatever.res file
into your .exe file while compiling:
> dmd.exe whatever.res

You should see that the newly compiled .exe file is now with an
Icon.
And when launched the icon will be used by the Command Prompt.