any chance to get it working on windows xp?

rikki cattermole rikki at cattermole.co.nz
Tue May 19 00:17:03 UTC 2020

On 19/05/2020 12:51 AM, a beginner wrote:
> @rikki cattermole
>> Dmd and ldc's codegen haven't stood still for 10 years. They both will be
>> emitting instructions your cpu cannot handle. Hence crashes.
> So... was I wrong to assume it generates code for the cpu it's running
> on (a P4 Northwood in my case) by default? I will try the "-mpcu"
> command line option then, and see if it takes care of that crash.

Yes.

Compilers make assumptions, especially dmd which uses newer instructions
than an XP era build of dmd did.

But because D is self hosted, this means that the compiler itself has
now been compiled with such instructions in use. So it too can crash.

Unless you bootstrap compile ldc up to the latest version (which also
means LLVM), what options you pass it may very well not matter.