Static assert triggered in struct constructor that shouldn't be called

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sun May 24 21:43:34 UTC 2020

On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 09:34:53PM +0000, jmh530 via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> The following code results in the static assert in the constructor
> being triggered, even though I would have thought no constructor would
> have been called. I know that there is an easy fix for this (move the
> static if outside the constructor), but it still seems like it doesn't
> make sense.
[...]

The problem is that static assert triggers when the function is compiled
(not when it's called), and since your ctor is not a template function,
it will always be compiled. Hence the static assert will always trigger.

The trouble with TCP jokes is that it's like hearing the same joke over and over.