[GTK-D] dub run leads to lld-link: error: could not open libcmt.lib: no such file or directory

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Tue May 26 15:16:25 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 13 May 2020 at 15:26:48 UTC, BoQsc wrote:
> [snip]
>> Linking...
> lld-link: error: could not open libcmt.lib: no such file or
> directory
> lld-link: error: could not open OLDNAMES.lib: no such file or
> directory
> Error: linker exited with status 1
> C:\D\dmd2\windows\bin\dmd.exe failed with exit code 1.

I just ran into this issue as well. I haven't had a chance to fix
it on my end, but this is what I've found.

This line
Performing "debug" build using C:\D\dmd2\windows\bin\dmd.exe for
x86_64.
means that it is compiling a 64bit program on Windows.

On Windows, if you are trying to compile a 64bit program, then it
will try to link with lld if it cannot find a Microsoft linker
[1]. The failure is likely due your Microsoft linker (or lld)
either not being installed properly or wrong version or
configured improperly. If you don't have Visual Studio Community
installed, that might be a first step. Another short-term fix
might be to try compiling with the -m32 dflag (need to put in
your dub.sdl/json).

[1] https://dlang.org/dmd-windows.html#linking