Mir Slice Column or Row Major

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Thu May 28 01:51:50 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 28 May 2020 at 00:51:50 UTC, 9il wrote:
> snip
> Actually it is a question of notation. For example, mir-lapack
> uses ndslice as column-major Fortran arrays. This may cause
> some headaches because the data needs to be transposed in mind.
> We can think about ndslice as about column-major nd-arrays with
> the reversed order of indexing.
>
> The current template looks like
>
> Slice(Iterator, size_t N = 1, SliceKind kind = 1)
>
> If we add a special column-major notation, then it will look
> like
>
> Slice(Iterator, size_t N = 1, SliceKind kind = Contiguous,
> PayloadOrder = RowMajor)
>
> A PR that adds this feature will be accepted.

Oh, that is news to me. I was under the impression that such a PR
would not be accepted. The prototype you have is exactly what I
had been thinking (that’s what eigen does).

Unfortunately, I don’t think I have the time to ensure everything
works properly with column major. I think my time right now is
better spent on other mir stuff, but it’s good to know that the
only obstacle is someone putting the work in.