Does dmd's -i "include imported modules in the compilation" switch generate object files?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Nov 3 19:02:30 UTC 2020

On Tue, Nov 03, 2020 at 10:42:55AM -0800, Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> -i is a useful feature:
>
>   https://dlang.org/dmd-linux.html
>
> Does dmd compile auto-included files separately? Does it generate
> temporary object files? If so, where does it write the files? Would -i
> cause race conditions on the file system?
[...]

I believe -i behaves as though you manually typed the names of the
source files on the command line.  So it would do what the compiler
would usually do in the latter case.

AFAIK, that means it loads everything into memory and produces only a
single object file for the final executable. Separate compilation only
happens if you invoke the compiler separately for each source file or
group of source files.

We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. -- Robert Wilensk