C++ or D?

Mark forillown at cream.pink
Tue Nov 10 01:00:50 UTC 2020

Hi all,

my question would be about using D or not using D. Is the newest
C++ iteration any good compared to D?

The reason I haven't used C++ anymore for years is that I was too
naive sometimes. I tried to use new features in Visual C++, found
myself being like a beta-tester for some things.

And the way C++ was always able to frustrate me is mainly, when
undefined behavior takes too long to take effect. Sometimes I
must have had bad luck, or I'm too silly. But for some subtle
bugs in my hobbyist C++ past the solution would have been to
rewrite a lot of code. Sometimes it was just too much work to get
anything done at all.

When I used shared pointers, it got better. But it got a little
bit ugly, too. And in general, being encouraged or forced to
write boiler plate code was also frustrating.

I haven't looked into the newest C++. In theory, they might have
added something helpful in the past years.

Anyone have any thoughts how C++ and D compare?