C++ or D?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Nov 10 01:52:54 UTC 2020

On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 01:00:50AM +0000, Mark via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
[...]
> my question would be about using D or not using D. Is the newest C++
> iteration any good compared to D?
[...]
> I haven't looked into the newest C++. In theory, they might have added
> something helpful in the past years.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts how C++ and D compare?

It depends on what you're looking for, what you're trying to do, and
what you expect.

If you're looking for good tooling, top-notch IDE integration, extensive
libraries, etc., then D might not be for you.  That's not to say there
*isn't* good tooling, IDE integration, or libraries; they are there, but
there are rough corners that some people might find frustrating.  Also,
if you're looking for widespread adoption and employment opportunities,
you might find D is not quite there yet.

However, if you're looking for language qualities, like expressive
power, productivity, scalability, ease of writing, ease of maintenance,
metaprogramming, or just general programming language sanity (less
pathological language constructs, gotchas, etc.), I *definitely*
recommend D over C++.  Any day, hands down.

And I say this as an ex-C++ programmer who has renounced C++ almost a
decade ago and never looked back since.  My experience with D has been
so good, I've been totally ruined; I can't stand writing code in any
other language anymore. Every time I have to face C or C++, or worse,
Java, I chafe inside, wishing that I could use this or that D feature.
Don't get me wrong; D has its own share of dark corners and WATs, but
compared to C++, it's a mere scratch vs. a festering, infected wound
that is quickly turning necrotic and requires immediate surgery or
amputation.  Every time I'm forced to work with C++ code I feel an urge
to disinfect my hands with something strong... but all I need is to
write some D and the urge vanishes. ;-)

YMMV, though. :-D

What did the alien say to Schubert? "Take me to your lieder."