why is "hello".writeln considered bad?

norm norm.rowtree at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 00:00:27 UTC 2020

On Friday, 20 November 2020 at 18:46:40 UTC, Martin wrote:
> On Friday, 20 November 2020 at 10:03:18 UTC, Daniel Kozak wrote:
>> I remember days when I liked UFCS too . Unfortunately  it is
>> not so awesome when you use it with IDE.
>
> And I would like to add: if you use in a bigger team. It's
> annoying when every dev have a own taste.. And together with
> optional () it's hell - no joke.
> The need to think about codeatyle definitions in such detail is
> a nogo for big projects.

This is a good point. I find with D there are many different ways
to write code and each can look different on the page. Where I
work we mandated all D code will be implemented in Phobos style
and use Phobos and mir source as guides. Some parts do heavily
use UFCS/optional() and some parts do not. We have not had issues
with readability, but maybe our D code isn't that complicated
because it is mostly PC side data analysis tools.

Personally a really like UFCS, even `"hello".writeln;` and I
think I'd rather have UFCS than autocompletion. But then I did
start out in industry well before autocomplete was a thing so
maybe I have never relied on it too much.

Thanks all for the replies!
norm