Automatic update system

aberba karabutaworld at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 20:00:22 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 26 November 2020 at 12:13:59 UTC, vnr wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a program written in D which is open-source on GitHub.
>
> I would appreciate it if, when I release a new version, users
> would be notified by the program and that it offers an
> automatic update, i.e. the user doesn't have to reinstall the
> whole repository himself, but that it is updated automatically.
>
> I haven't found any packages that directly meet my needs, but
> in the meantime I imagine that I will have to use the GitHub
> API, as well as Curl to make such a system.
>
> Do you have any resources or suggestions as to how I could
> implement this? Thank you!

Auto-updates of an installed app (.ie. if that's what you want)
is done from the app's installation side of things... App Store
(with a few exceptions of course). On Windows, Microsoft's new
packaging stack supports that [1]. You can even set it up with
your CI/CD pipelines...e.g. GitHub Actions.

On Linux, both Flatpak and Snap all provide suck functionality.

1.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/msix/desktop/desktop-to-uwp-packaging-dot-net#:~:text=%20Setup%20the%20Windows%20Application%20Packaging%20Project%20in,make%20sure%20to%20set%20the%20Minimum...%20More%20