Can we do compile time reading part of a file using import?

data pulverizer data.pulverizer at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 16:42:00 UTC 2020

Hi all,

the `import` function allows a file to be read at compile time,
which opens up great opportunities for (mostly binary) file IO,
where data types can be coded into files - the user doesn't need
to know data types ahead of time. As specified in my old blog
article:
https://www.active-analytics.com/blog/reading-idx-files-in-d/.

Binary files can be very large and reading the whole file at
compile time is often unnecessary.

This isn't exactly the intended use for the function, but there
it is. Since compile time read capability already exists and is
useful, adding capability to be able to read only a portion of
the file at compile time in a given location is advantageous and
has utility.

For me it's not make-or-break, it just something very useful and
I think has clear use case. Please let me know if there are
aspects or alternatives I am missing.

Thanks