tupleof seems to break encapsulation

60rntogo 60rntogo at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 05:14:49 UTC 2020

On Friday, 4 September 2020 at 17:36:00 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> It's useful for serialization and, as you can see in your
> example, for debugging as well. `writeln` will print the values
> of the fields in a struct, even for private fields.

I wouldn't dispute that it is useful, but that's besides the
point. If I declare something private, it's usually because I
want to preserve certain invariants and I want the compiler to
provide a guarantee that I don't accidentally violate them. As it
stands, the compiler cannot guarantee that if I use tupleof.

I don't really have an issue with read-only access to private
fields (but arguments could be made against it) and then
serialization would still be possible. However, if my struct is
supposed to maintain invariants, then any attempt at
deserialization that naively reads from a tuple without
establishing these invariants should fail to compile.