Building LDC runtime for a microcontroller

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 22:13:20 UTC 2020

On Monday, 7 September 2020 at 20:55:54 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> I guess this was written before betterC existed.

Well, -betterC existed even then, but it was *completely*
useless. It didn't become useful until 2016 or 2017.

But around that same time, going minimal runtime got even easier,
so I never really got on the betterC train anyway. On my tetris
webassembly thing last month, I went with a minimal druntime
http://dpldocs.info/this-week-in-d/Blog.Posted_2020_08_10.html#druntime

And it has some class support too in not a lot of code:
https://github.com/adamdruppe/webassembly/blob/master/arsd-webassembly/object.d

(and if you aren't doing classes and built-in arrays, you can cut
a bunch of that out too).

> To be honest I like this approach better as it opens up for
> gradually adding functionality.

Yes, indeed.

betterC is nice that it gives a library community a shared target
to rally around, but for your own custom application it is
probably better to do your own thing (though betterC might work
for you too, worth considering at least).