Named parameters in function call

Cecil Ward cecil at cecilward.com
Tue Sep 8 13:28:22 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 8 September 2020 at 09:40:11 UTC, Andre Pany wrote:
> On Tuesday, 8 September 2020 at 07:43:05 UTC, Cecil Ward wrote:
>> I can’t remember, do Ada or Modula2 have something like
>>      myfunc( x => 100, y => 200, color => blue )        [1]
>> which has named parameters that can be passed in any order.
>>
>> [...]
>
> I hope we have it this year or next year, as we have this DIP
> https://www.github.com/dlang/DIPs/tree/master/DIPs%2FDIP1030.md
>
> Kind regards
> Andre

I wonder if there is any way in which we could combine this with
strong typing of some sort (how?) to detect errors such as
     int xcoord;
     int ycoord;

     myfunc( x : ycoord, y : xcoord, color : blue )        [3]

where the arguments are the wrong way around. Would have to
change the types of the xcoord and ycoord variables somehow,
something I have asked about earlier.