When should I use SortedRange.release?

Bastiaan Veelo Bastiaan at Veelo.net
Fri Apr 23 20:10:11 UTC 2021

On Friday, 23 April 2021 at 18:35:25 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
> On Friday, 23 April 2021 at 17:35:13 UTC, Bastiaan Veelo wrote:
>> What happens when a range is released?
>> What happens if a range is not released?
>> What happens if a range is released more than once?
>>
>> And what does "controlled" imply here? In what way has
>> `SortedRange` control over the underlaying data? What can I do
>> and what can't I do to the underlying data as long as
>> `SortedRange` has control?
>
> I had to look at the source to figure this out. Fortunately,
> the source is pretty simple:
>
> https://phobos.dpldocs.info/source/std.range.d.html#L10833
>
> Turns out, it just calls `core.lifetime.move`. So I guess when
> the docs say "control", what they are really talking about is
> ownership.
>
> Practically speaking, this means that in generic code, we
> should avoid using a `SortedRange` after calling `release`,
> since we do not know whether the range is owning or non-owning
> w.r.t. the underlying data.

Thanks. There is no word in the documentation about when
`SortedRange` would or would not be owning data, though, and
hence when `release` would be appropriate to call. To me
`release` seems to be calling `std.algorithm.mutation.move` , but
it is probably very similar to `core.lifetime.move`.

In case the underlying data is a slice, I think we end up at
https://phobos.dpldocs.info/source/std.algorithm.mutation.d.html#L1459, which I can't see accomplishes anything in [this example](https://dlang.org/phobos/std_algorithm_sorting.html#.sort) (except returning the slice that went in):
```d
int[] array = [ 1, 2, 3, 4 ];

// sort in descending order
array.sort!("a > b");
writeln(array); // [4, 3, 2, 1]

// sort in ascending order
array.sort();
writeln(array); // [1, 2, 3, 4]

// sort with reusable comparator and chain
alias myComp = (x, y) => x > y;
writeln(array.sort!(myComp).release); // [4, 3, 2, 1]
```

-- Bastiaan.