Two major problems with dub

Paul Backus snarwin at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 16:09:59 UTC 2021

On Sunday, 1 August 2021 at 15:38:32 UTC, Alain De Vos wrote:
> Dub has two big problems.
> 1. Unmaintained dub stuff.
> 2. Let's say you need bindings to postgresql library and you
> will see dub pulling in numerous of libraries, which have
> nothing at all to do with postgresql.
> More like a framework stuff. This creates unneeded complexity,
> bloatware, dependency hell, maintainability, in my humble
> opinion. Dub should do one thing and do it good.
> Feel free to elaborate.

It seems to me like these are not really problems with the dub
package manager or the dub archive itself, but with the quality
of individual packages.

There is a community-maintained list of high-quality D resources
(including dub packages) available on github:

https://github.com/dlang-community/awesome-d

Ideally, something like this would be integrated into
code.dlang.org itself, so that users could see at a glance which
packages are considered high-quality by the D community.