Two major problems with dub

evilrat evilrat666 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 17:37:01 UTC 2021

On Sunday, 1 August 2021 at 17:25:26 UTC, Alain De Vos wrote:
> A simple example, dub package dpq2 pulls in,
> money,vide-d,stdx-allocator,derelict-pq,derelict-util
> This all for a handfull of C-functions.

let's see

Money - fits pretty ok, cause your average SQL has decimal type
for that purpose but there is no built-in one in D

vibe-d - probably because it handles DB connection and/or keep
things async way, sure you probably can do it with Phobos but it
will be much more PITA and less performant

stdx-allocator - memory management, and it is also possible to
reduce GC pauses it is probably uses malloc'ed buffers

derelict-pg - C API wrapper for PostgreSQL

derelict-util - handles function pointers loading for that wrapper

That's it. Why do you think this is bloat? You know, D coders are
very careful when it comes to using dependencies, it's not like
in JS where shit got imported just because it exists, so I don't
get your complains on that.