align dynamic array (for avx friendliness) hints? / possible??

james.p.leblanc james.p.leblanc at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 18:36:08 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 3 August 2021 at 17:57:47 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> On 8/3/21 10:50 AM, james.p.leblanc wrote:
>
> > **Is there some highly visible place this is already
> documented?
>
> For what it's worth, it appears as "slice from pointer" in my
>

> http://ddili.org/ders/d.en/pointers.html#ix_pointers.slice%20from%20pointer
>
> Admittedly, one needs to know the concept first to think about
> that entry. :/
>
> Ali

Ali,

Thanks for your message!  (And even a bigger thanks for writing
your book!)
Your book was one of the first D programming books I read, and
learned much from
it.

At the time of my reading, I was too much of a new-comer to the
D-language to see
the importance of the "slice from pointer".  This concept is a
hidden gem of the
language IMHO!

But, with my recent needs to mix and match native D with the FFTW
C-functions
in an avx friendly alignment, I was really searching for a way to
keep the "best
of both worlds".  The "slice from pointer" concepts is a valuable
one.

I need to go back and read that section of book now!

Best Regards,
James