Two major problems with dub

Adam D Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 10:35:49 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 4 August 2021 at 08:18:34 UTC, evilrat wrote:
> Than again like I said it is library author mistake, if only
> JSON is ever used then it should depend on vibe-d:data
> specifically and not the whole vibe-d thing.

It is also a problem with dub though since D, the language,
supports this just fine.

If you use dmd -i, it only includes the specific modules you
actually used. This can even get down to fine-grained functions
if you code carefully, like if you use my dom.d you just need
dom.d for most things. But call Document.fromUrl and now dmd -i
pulls in my http2.d. Or Document.parseGarbage pulls in
characterencodings.d.

It does all that transparently based on your actual function
calls thanks to those things being templates with local imports.
But dub can't express that at all; it is incapable of using D's
full modular strengths.

This could be fixed.