How to print unicode characters (no library)?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon Dec 27 17:25:16 UTC 2021

On Mon, Dec 27, 2021 at 04:40:19PM +0000, Adam D Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> On Monday, 27 December 2021 at 15:26:16 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > A lot of modern Linux applications don't even work properly under
> > anything non-UTF-8
>
> yeah, you're supposed to check the locale but since so many people
> just assume that's becoming the new de facto reality

Yep, sad reality.

> just like how people blindly shoot out vt100 codes without checking
> TERM and that usually works too.

Haha, doesn't terminal.d do that in a few places too? ;-)

To be fair, though, most of the popular terminal apps are based off of
extensions of vt100 codes anyway, so the basic escape sequences
more-or-less work across the board. AFAIK non-vt100 codes are getting
rarer and can practically be treated as legacy these days. (At least on
Linux, that is. Can't say for the other *nixen.)

> > I'm not a regular Windows user, but I did remember running into problems
> > where sometimes command.exe doesn't handle Unicode properly, and needs
> > an API call to switch it to UTF mode or something.
>
> That'd be because someone called the -A function instead of the -W ones. The
> -W ones just work if you use them. The -A ones are there for compatibility
> with Windows 95 and have quirks. This is the point behind my blog post i
> linked before, people saying to make that api call don't understand the
> problem and are patching over one bug with another bug instead of actually
> fixing it with the correct function call.

Point.

Just because you survived after you did it, doesn't mean it wasn't stupid!