What is the difference between static linking with .a and .so libphobos?

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 23:08:18 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 2 February 2021 at 22:39:40 UTC, WhatMeWorry wrote:
> Don't we want to Dynamically link with shared libphobos2.so?

Yeah, I imagine what they meant was statically binding to the
dynamic link library as opposed to loading certain procedures at
runtime one by one.

With the .a file, there's no need to have the phobos.so file at
all to run the program. With the so statically bound (though
still dynamically linked) it is needed to run the program.

With a full dynamic link and bind you might be able to run the
program with or without it.

> Also why doesn't Windows have a libphobos.dll file. I only find
> a libphobos.lib

druntime as a dll is so horribly broken it would be irresponsible
to attempt it right now.