Profiling

Guillaume Piolat first.last at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 13:31:09 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 10 February 2021 at 11:52:51 UTC, JG wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions. However, I would prefer not to
> spend time trying to debug d-profile-viewer at the moment.
>
> As a follow up question I would like to know what tool people
> use to profile d programs?

Here is what I use for sampling profiler:

(On Windows)

Build with LDC, x86_64, with dub -b release-debug in order to
have debug info.
Run your program into:
- Intel Amplifier (free with System Studio)
- AMD CodeXL (more lightweight, and very good)
- Very Sleepy

(On Mac)

Build with dub -b release-debug
Run your program with Instruments.app which you can find in your
Xcode.app

(On Linux)
I don't know.

Though most of the time to validate the optimization a comparison
program that runs two siilar programs and computer the speed
difference can be needed.