DConf talk : Exceptions will disappear in the future?

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 20:12:39 UTC 2021

On Monday, 4 January 2021 at 15:39:50 UTC, ludo456 wrote:
> Listening to the first visioconf of the Dconf 2020, titled
> Destroy All Memory Corruption,
> (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQHAIglE9CU) Walter talks
> about not using exceptions any more in the future. He says
> something like "this is where languages are going" [towards no
> using exceptions any more].

I don't think exceptions are going anywhere. It might be that new
libraries tend to avoid them (to work with @nothrow and @live),
but there is no reason to banish them from the whole language -
that would only result in huge breakage for limited benefit.

And I suspect Walter didn't mean all code -just the relatively
low-level stuff that might want to use `@live`. Even if he did,
community will force him to reconsider.