DConf talk : Exceptions will disappear in the future?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 23:59:32 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 6 January 2021 at 21:27:59 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> It must be unique because different functions may return
> different sets of error codes. If these sets overlap, then once
> the error propagates up the call stack it becomes ambiguous
> which error it is.

I don't think this is the case. If you analyse the full program
then you know the functions that interact. All you need to do is
dataflow analysis.

I also don't think there should be a specific error-code, I think
that should be left implementation defined. The program should
just specify a set of errors. Then it is up to the compiler if
that for a given call can be represented using some free bits in
another return value as a nullpointer or whatever.

If speed is what is sought, well, then design for it. :-)