Why many programmers don't like GC?

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Thu Jan 14 20:26:45 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 14 January 2021 at 15:18:28 UTC, ddcovery wrote:

> I understand perfectly the D community people that needs to
> work without GC:  **it is not snobbish**:  it is a real need.
> But not only a "need"... sometimes it is basically the way a
> team wants to work:  explicit memory management vs GC.

D already supports manual memory management so that escape hatch
was always there. My main criticism of D is the inability to
freely exchange the GC algorithms as one type of GC might not be
the best fit for everyone. The problem is of course that there is
no differentiation between raw and fat pointers. With fat
pointers, the community would have a better opportunities to
experiment with different GC designs which would lead to a larger
palette of GC algorithms.